Creamy bacon, pea and mint risotto
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This creamy risotto dish is a great option for a quick and easy mid-week meal - and you can sneak some veg in there without the kids noticing!
- 75g cheese spread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 rashers bacon, diced
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 250g Arborio rice
- 1 litre reduced-salt or homemade vegetable stock, hot
- 200g frozen peas, defrosted
- 3 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
Serve with seasonal veg for an extra health boost
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the bacon for 3-4 minutes before adding the onion and sautéing for 4-5 minutes, until slightly translucent.
- Stir in the rice and then add a ladle of stock and continue to stir until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Repeat with all but 2 ladles of the remaining stock until the rice is al dente.
- Stir in the peas, chopped mint and cheese spread and continue to stir. If the risotto appears too thick, add more of the remaining stock.
- Season according to taste.