Slimming World homemade mustard sausages and colcannon
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Make your own sausages with this Slimming World recipe. A healthy alternative to bangers and mash, this recipe will be a hit with the family
- 511g/1lb 2oz extra lean pork mince
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 level tsp English mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 908g/2lb potatoes, peeled
- 284ml/½ pint vegetable stock
- 312g/11oz Savoy cabbage, finely shredded
Colcannon, a traditional Irish dish, is a mix of mashed potatoes and kale or cabbage.
- Mix the pork mince in a bowl with the egg, garlic, spring onions and mustard. Season and mix well. Roll the mixture into 12 sausage shapes and chill them for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 25 minutes. Drain and leave to steam dry in a colander.
- Pour the stock into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the cabbage and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes to the cabbage and stock and mash thoroughly. Season to taste and keep warm.
- Cook the sausages in low calorie cooking spray for 15 minutes, turning frequently so they brown evenly. Check they are cooked through.
- Serve with the colcannon and boiled carrots and cauliflower or vegetables of your choice.
For more delicious recipes or to find your nearest Slimming World group visit the Slimming World website