Sara Chadwick's glitter amaretto cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Sara Chadwick's glitter amaretto cupcakes were adapted from a Primrose Bakery recipe. These glittery cakes are perfect for parties
- 85g unsalted butter
- 175g brown sugar
- 115g good quality dark chocolate
- 185g plain flour
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200ml semi skimmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 100g unsalted butter
- 50ml semi skimmed milk
- 500g icing sugar
- 1tsp amaretto flavouring
- Few drops of food colouring
Sara said: 'I have used edible glitter to decorate my cupcakes ( these were purchased from www.edible-glitter.co.uk and I used colours 'firebrand' and 'golden fox")'
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees for fan assisted ovens or gas mark 5. This recipe makes 12 standard size cupcakes so line a muffin tray with appropriate size cases.
- Break the chocolate pieces in to a bowl and melt either in the microwave or over a hot pan of simmering water. Be careful not to burn it. Leave it to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. This will take a few minutes with a hand held whisk. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and put the whites to one side. Beat for a few minutes and then add to the sugar and butter mixture. Beat well and gradually beat in the melted chocolate.
- Combine the sieved flour, baking soda and bicarbonate of soda in a separate bowl. Add this gradually to the butter and sugar mixture and then beat in the milk. Slowly add both ingredients in to the mixture until fully blended. Now add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Now fold this mixture into the chocolate mixture. Do not beat.
- Carefully spoon the mixture in to the cupcakes and fill 2/3 of the way up. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes or until a metal skewer comes out clean. Take out of oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, add the butter, icing sugar, milk and flavouring in to a bowl and beat well until light and fluffy. Add colouring if desired and ice the cupcakes well. Serve and enjoy!!