Toffee cake pops
Skill level: Easy peasy
Cake pops are the new craze in the baking world! And for good reason, these tasty little treats are easy to make and great for the kids to help with - they're perfect for parties too!
IngredientsFor the cake:
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- 150g unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g self-raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 160ml milk
For the frosting:
- 100g butter
- 100g Dulce de Leche
- 350g Golden icing sugar, such as Billington’s
- 1tsp natural vanilla extract
- 450g white chocolate flavour cake covering
- sugar strands and sprinkles to decorate
These cake pops are great to give as a gift, simply decorate with your favourite sprinkles to personalise them.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 10” round or square baking pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (about 5 mins).
- Lower the speed to medium, add the eggs one at a time, keeping a one minute gap between each one. Throw in the vanilla extract. Sift the flour with the baking powder. On low speed add half the dry ingredients, then half the milk, repeat.
- Fill the pan to just over halfway and bake for 35-40 mins or until a cake tester comes out clean. Leave to cool.
- Beat the butter and dulce de leche together until well combined. Gradually add the icing sugar until smooth and then beat in the vanilla
Combining the cake and frosting:
- Once the cake is completely cool, crumble it using either your fingers or a food processor. Mix the cake crumbs with just enough frosting until you get a firm dough-like consistency you can easily mould into balls. You might not need to use all the frosting. Wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Remove cake pop mixture from fridge and begin rolling into small balls – they should just fit comfortably into the palm of your hand. Place balls onto the tray and once rolled place back in the fridge for another 10 mins or until balls are firm.
- Remove cake balls from fridge. Melt a small amount of chocolate as per instructions on the pack. Dip the end of each lollipop stick into the chocolate about 2 cm in. Insert a stick into the centre of each cake ball.
- Now you are ready to start dipping. Melt the remaining chocolate. Holding by the stick, gently dip each cake ball into the chocolate until completely coated. Gently tap off any excess. Decorate with sprinkles of your choice. Insert into a polystyrene block to dry.