Valentine strawberry salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Strawberries in a salad may sound a little strange, but try it and you will be pleasantly surprised. The flavours really compliment the goats’ cheese
- 150 g (5 oz) strawberries, sliced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Half teaspoon mixed coloured peppercorns, roughly crushed
- 2 slices white bread
- 100 g (4 oz) goats cheese
- 75 g (3 oz) bag mixed salad leaves with red stems
Serve the salad with warm crusty bread or as a salad to accompany seared salmon steaks
- Put the strawberries into a bowl and toss with the vinegar and half the peppercorns. Lightly toast one side of the bread then cut a large heart shape from each slice and top with a slice of goats cheese and the remaining peppercorns. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, preheat the grill then cook the cheese toasts until the cheese is bubbling and the bread golden around the edges.
- Add the salad leaves to the strawberries and toss gently togther. Spoon on to two serving plates and top with the toasts. Serve immediately.