- 1 sheet of pastry from a 425g pack of 2 sheets ready-rolled puff pastry
- 15g (½oz) butter, melted
- 1 large, ripe mango
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp ground ginger or cinnamon, optional
- 2 good tbs apricot jam, warmed
- 2 tsp chopped pistachios
- Baking sheet, lined with Bakewell paper
It is always handy to have ready made pastry in the freezer.
- Cut 2 oval shapes from the pastry (we used a small pie dish measuring 15 x 9cm/6 x 3½in as a template to cut round). Keep the trimmings. Mark a 1cm (½in) border inside the edge and prick the base inside the border. Put the shapes on the baking sheet.
- Roll the trimmings out a little thinner, then cut into 1cm (½in) strips. Brush the border of the ovals with a little water. Stick pastry strips round the border of the ovals, crinkling them to fit the shape. Brush inside the
- ovals with melted butter.
- Cut down either side of the mango stone, then cut each “cheek” into about 7 strips and take the peel off each one. Arrange the fruit on the pastry. Brush with more melted butter and sprinkle with the sugar, and the spice, if using. Bake for about 30 mins until the pastry is golden and crisp. Brush the mango and the pastry border with warmed jam and pop the tarts back in the oven for a few mins, to caramelise. Sprinkle the pistachios over.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 558(kcal)
- Fat 37.0g
- Saturates 16.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.