Dark secret custards
Cooking time:chill for 3 hours after cooking
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 300ml (½ pint) double cream
- 60g (2oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 45g (1½oz) molasses sugar
- Good pinch of salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
This is sweet and rich so it could stretch to serve 6 or even 8 people after a big meal. The custard is a very soft set.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 2 or 150°C. Warm the cream with both sugars and salt over a low medium heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Take off the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl and slowly whisk in the hot, sweetened cream with the vanilla extract. Strain into a jug and then pour into 4 ramekin dishes.
- Put the ramekins in a deep roasting tin and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. Bake for 30-35 mins until just set, but with a little wobble. Take them out of the tin. Chill for about 3 hours. The custards will set more on cooling.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 482(kcal)
- Fat 41.0g
- Saturates 24.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.