Mini Indonesian pork skewers
Prep time:(plus 30 mins marinating)
Total time:(plus 30 mins marinating)
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- ½tsp each ground turmeric, ground coriander, and ground cumin
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 200g (7oz) pork fillet, cut in thin strips
- 250g (8oz) Jasmine rice
- Pinch of salt
- Radishes, 4 trimmed and chopped, and 2 carved
- ½ cucumber; ¼ chopped and ¼ cut into ribbons
- 1tbsp fresh coriander
- 4 x 150ml (5fl oz) dariole moulds, oiled
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
Serve the skewers on their own for a delicious starter.
- Put the shallots in a shallow dish. Add the garlic, chilli, ground turmeric, coriander and cumin, soy sauce and the sunflower oil. Add the pork fillet and stir to coat in the marinade. Leave for 30 mins for the flavours to penetrate.
- Put the Jasmine rice into a pan with the salt and 600ml (1 pint) boiling water. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 mins, until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed. Spoon into the dariole moulds and put them in a warm place for a few mins.
- Meanwhile, set the grill to high. Thread strips of pork on to the bamboo skewers. Grill for about 15 mins, turning them as needed, until they’re browned all over.
- Turn the rice out of the moulds and serve the pork on the skewers, along with a bowl of chopped radishes and cucumber, garnished with coriander leaves. Decorate the serving plates with ribbons of cucumber and carved radishes.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 105(kcal)
- Fat 5.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.