Tomato tarts Valentino
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Delicious, heart-shaped crisp tarts with a puff pastry bases, topped with a rich tomato sauce. The perfect treat for a special person on Valentine’s Day
- 400g pack ready rolled puff pastry
- 225g/8oz mozzarella, sliced
- 4 slices salami
- 1 egg beaten
- fresh oregano, ripped
- watercress for decoration
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Adding a little sugar to your tomato sauce enhances the tomato's natural sweetness
- First make the tomato sauce. Heat oil in a pan and fry onion and garlic over gentle heat until softened but not brown. Pour over chopped tomatoes and sugar. Bring to bubbling and reduce slightly. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cool.
- Place pastry on a work top and unroll flat. Cut out four heart shapes about 10cm/4in across. Discard extra pastry. Spread over the cooled tomato sauce, leaving a rim of 1cm/1/2 in. Top with mozzarella and finish with a slice of salami. Brush egg wash over the exposed edge of the pastry.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven Gas 6 400F 200C for around 10 minutes, or until pastry is crisp, airy and golden. Serve warm scattered with ripped oregano leaves. Decorate with watercress.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 693(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.