Antony Worrall Thompson's pot-roast chicken
Skill level: Bit of effort
Antony Worrall Thompon's pot-roast chicken is an all-time family favourite, featuring at least once a month on his household’s domestic menu.
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) free-range chicken
- 115g (4oz) smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, cut into 2.5cm (1in) chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into 2.5cm (1in) chunks
- 12 baby new potatoes
- 1tbsp soft thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 400g (14oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 850ml (1½ pints) chicken or vegetable stock, hot
- 225g (8oz) broccoli florets 115g (4oz) frozen peas, defrosted
- Handful of spinach 115g (4oz)
- Frozen baby broad beans, defrosted
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Top tip: AWT says: 'Get the main structure of the pot-roast right and your choice of vegetables can vary with the season.'
- sPlace a large frying pan over a high heat, add the olive oil and, when hot, add the whole chicken to the pan, turning occasionally until brown all over. Remove and place in your slow cooker.
- Add the bacon to the frying pan and fry for a few minutes over a medium heat, then add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, potatoes, thyme and bay leaves and cook for a further 6 mins.
- Add the tomatoes and the Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil. Spoon into your slow cooker, add the stock, then cover and cook on low for 7-8 hrs until the chicken is cooked. To check if the chicken is cooked through, push a skewer right into the thickest part of the thigh; if the juices run clear it is cooked - any pink and it needs a bit longer.
- Lift out the chicken onto a platter, cover with foil and set aside in a warm place to rest. Turn the slow cooker to high, stir the green vegetables into the pot and cook, uncovered, for 10 mins until the vegetables are tender. Season to taste.
- Carve the chicken. Spoon the vegetables and broth into 4 warm bowls.
Recipes taken from: Antony’s Slow Cooking: 100 Easy Recipes for the Slow Cooker, Oven and Hob (Octopus books £17.99)