Crunchy carrot and seed flapjacks
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Give your flapjacks a savoury taste with this easy carrot and seed recipe. At just 9p per slice, these flapjacks make a great, cheap snack.
- 175g (6oz) butter or buttery taste low-saturates fat spread (such as Benecol Buttery Taste)
- 150g (5oz) demerara sugar
- 3tbsp (45ml) golden syrup
- 2tbsp (30ml) black treacle
- 225g (8oz) carrots, washed and coarsely grated
- 350g (12oz) porridge oats
- 3tbsp each pumpkin and sunflower seeds
Top tip: This recipe is suitable for freezing. Once cold, wrap in baking parchment and then plastic bags. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan 180°C, 400°F or gas mark 6). In a large pan, melt the butter, sugar, syrup and treacle together, stirring until melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the carrots, oats and seeds; stir well until thoroughly mixed. Tip into a 30x20cm (12x8in) tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 15 mins.
- The flapjack is done when it is lightly golden around the edges. Remove the tin from the oven. Whilst still hot make into 20 squares, then leave to cool. When cold, remove from the tin and cut into the squares. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 183(kcal)
- Fat 8.8g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.