- About 500g (1lb) cleaned, ready to cook squid, thawed if frozen
- Oil, for deep-fat frying
- Hot chilli sauce, to serve
- 125g (4oz) plain flour
- 1 x 7g sachet easy-blend dried yeast
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1-2 tsp olive oil or melted butter
This recipe was taken from a feature called 'fish dishes that most men will enjoy for a change.'
- To make the batter: Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the yeast and seasoning. Make a well in the centre, then gradually pour in 200ml (7fl oz) warm water and the oil, or melted butter, and mix in the flour to make a smooth batter. Leave to stand for 20 mins.
- Cut the squid into thick slices. Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer or a large pan. Dip a few pieces of squid into the batter, then add them to the hot fat and cook for 2-3 mins, until evenly browned and crispy. Fry in batches, draining on kitchen paper. Serve with hot chilli sauce.