Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Our quick, cheap and easy to make vegetable stew recipe is a family favourite. Speeded up by swapping haricot beans for canned butter beans, this meal is a winner! Serving 4 people this hearty, family-sized stew can be ready on the table in just 40 mins. A portion of this delicious stew works out at only 172 calories per serving. Serve this stew with mashed potato, homemade dumplings or bread for soaking up the delicious flavoured stock. Celery, carrot, swede and onion make a tasty combination - they are also a fantastic source of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C and vitamin B6 which are essential for supporting your immune system throughout the winter months. This recipe is great for a Monday night as it uses up leftover veg from your Sunday roast dinner. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. You can blitz this stew in a food processor for soup the next day for lunch.
Add a can of tomatoes to give more flavour and substance.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 250g (8oz) swede, peeled and diced
- 600ml (1 pint) hot vegetable stock
- 400g can tomatoes
- 420g can butter beans, drained
- A handful of chopped parsley
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and fry slowly for 5 mins. Add the other vegetables, cover and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes, so they start to soften.
- Pour in the stock and canned tomatoes, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the beans and cook for another 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle the vegetable stew with chopped parsley to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 172(kcal)
- Fat 5.0g
- Saturates 0.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.