Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
On a diet? Make slight tweaks to your pancake recipe to make it a little bit healthier. By replacing the flour and sugar this recipe is under 100 calories a portion!
IngredientsFor the pancakes:
- 100g plain wholemeal flour
- 2 tbsp granular sweetener like Canderel
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 275 ml semi-skimmed milk
- vegetable oil for cooking
- 2 grapefruit, any colour
- 1 large orange
- juice and rind ½ lemon
- 4 tsp granular sweetener
This recipe can be served with any filling as a healthy pancake alternative
- Put the flour, sweetener and cinnamon into a bowl, beat in the egg with a little milk, gradually add the rest of the milk until the batter is smooth. Alternatively, put all the ingredients into a blender or food processor and whizz to make the batter.
- To cook the pancakes, heat a small non-stick frying pan, brush with oil then pour in enough batter to cover the base of the pan, swirling it so it covers evenly. Cook over a medium-high heat until golden brown, turn over and cook the other side. Turn onto a plate, cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat the process until all the batter is used.
- To serve with citrus fruit mix: prepare the fruits, cut away all of the skin and pith from the grapefruit and oranges. Cut down the membrane to release the segments and put into a bowl catching the juices as you go. Using a zester, cut thin strips of rind from either the lemon or lime add to the fruit (you can also add some strips of orange before removing the skin). Squeeze the lemon juice and stir into the fruit with the sweetener.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 98.5(kcal)
- Fat 2.6g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.