Orange drizzle loaf cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Orange drizzle loaf cake is simple to make and an easy family favourite - a cake that is hard to get wrong. This recipe is based on a classic Madiera recipe, flavoured with orange zest and an orange juice syrup, poured over after baking this gives the sponge a crunchy citrus flavour. This orange drizzle cake is cooked in a loaf tin to achieve the classic loaf shape. We love this loaf with a cup of tea and fresh out of the oven - it keeps well in airtight container but there's nothing better than warm sticky orange syrup!
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 60g (2oz) ground almonds
- 125g (4oz) butter, softened
- 2 medium eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 orange
- 90g (3oz) granulated sugar
- 900g (2lb) loaf tin, strip-lined, buttered
For a lemon-flavoured cake, just use a lemon instead of the orange! If you don't have ground almonds, use an extra 60g (2oz) flour.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C. Mix all the cake ingredients together in a large bowl (using an electric mixer if you have one) until smoothly blended. Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the top. Bake for about 1 hour.
- To make the topping: Mix the orange juice and sugar and pour it evenly over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 30 mins, and then take it out of the tin to cool on a wire rack. Slice to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 316(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
- Saturates 7.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.