Mackerel and potato stir-fry
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 mackerel fillets, thawed if frozen, and dried with kitchen paper
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 250g (8oz) cooked new potatoes, sliced
- About 30g (1oz) butter
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed
- Zest and juice of ˝ lemon
- Handful of parsley leaves
Frozen mackerel fillets are great to have in the freezer for quick omega 3-loaded meals
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan or wok. Put the mackerel fillets in whole, skin-side down, and fry over a high heat for 3 mins, to crisp the skin, then turn them over and cook for a minute. Take out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and potato slices to the pan and cook for 5 mins, until browned. Meanwhile, skin and flake fish.
- Add the butter to the pan, with the capers and lemon zest and juice. Add the fish. Heat through and serve with parsley leaves sprinkled over, and with a salad on the side.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 256(kcal)
- Fat 18.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
- Sugars 0.0g
- Salt 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.