Phil Vickery's sweet chicken with smoked paprika
Cooking time:(on high slow cooker setting)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Give your chicken an exotic blend of flavours with this tasty recipe from Phil Vickery. Cook in your slow cooker for a deeper flavour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 small Ramiro peppers, finely sliced
- 1 beef tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp malt vinegar
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- a couple pinches of castor sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 8 chicken thighs fillets, no skin or bones
- 2 tbsp arrowroot
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Serve with lightly cooked broccoli and a baked potato.
- Preheat the heating base to High. Place the slow cooker stoneware on the hob and gently heat the vegetable oil. Add the chilli and cumin and cook for 2 minutes to release their aroma and flavour.
- Next add the onion, garlic and peppers and cook for a further 6 minutes to soften slightly. Add the tomato, mustard, paprika, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, water and Worcester sauce, stir well and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Season well, sit the chicken thighs on top and spoon over a little of the sauce. Cover with the lid, place in the heating base and cook for 2-3 hours on High, or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Once cooked, stir the chicken thighs into the vegetables and sauce. Mix the arrowroot with a little water to make a paste then add to the chicken and stir through. Cook for another 10 minutes to thicken nicely.