Marshmallow flower cupcakes
Prep time:(including decorating)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Learn how to top your cupcakes with this cute marshmallow flower design for a really special treat this week
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g self-raising flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 2tbsp milk
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 12-hole muffin tins, lined with paper cases
- 1 bag of fruit flavoured marshmallows
- Coloured glitter or sugar
- Sprinkles or dragees for the centres
- 110g of softened butter
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of lemon zest
- 500g icing sugar
Victoria says: 'Once finished they look lovely as they are but use your imagination. I sometimes I put them on a large cake board sticking the cakes down with a blob of icing, then pipe stems onto the board to make it look like a bunch of flowers.'
- To make this cupcake recipe, set the oven to 190°C or Gas 5. Tip the butter into a bowl and beat it until it’s softened. Add the sugar, flour, salt, eggs and milk and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Use an ice-cream scoop, or spoon, to divide the mixture between all the paper cases.
- Place both muffin tins in the oven and bake for 15 mins. Remove the tins from the oven. Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- Cut the marshmallows diagonally so they look like petals and dip the sticky side in your coloured sugar or glitter (I colour sugar with a little petal dust) and repeat until you think you have enough to cover your cakes. You will need to do one cake at a time so the buttercream does not dry out.
- Spread buttercream the top of your cake, spreading generously to the outside edge.
- Start by placing a row of marshmallows in the buttercream (Glitter/sugar side up) around the edge close to the paper until you have a full circle. Repeat three times working your way into the middle. I normally do three rows but you may like more.
- Once you have finished your rows place sprinkles or dragees in the centre.
- Repeat on the other cakes until you have the amount you would like.