All-in-one Sunday roast
- 2 chicken breasts on the bone
- 2 sage leaves
- 2 rashers smoked back bacon
- 1 leek, trimmed, and sliced
- 2 small parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2tsp Dijon mustard
- 4-5tbsp white breadcrumbs
- 1tbsp fresh chopped mixed herbs (we used parsley and sage)
- 2 cocktail sticks
Use sweet potato instead of parsnips, if you like.
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C.
- To make the stuffing: Put 1tbsp of the oil into a heatproof bowl with the onion. Microwave the onion on full power for 2 mins, to soften it. Stir in the mustard, breadcrumbs and herbs and mix them all together.
- Cut a slit in the middle, along the length, of each chicken breast. Spoon the stuffing mixture into each of these pockets. Put a sage leaf on top and wrap a bacon rasher around each one, securing the ends with a cocktail stick.
- Put the leek, parsnip and carrot in a roasting tin. Pour 300ml (½ pint) hot water over them. Place the chicken breasts on the vegetables, season and drizzle with the rest of the oil. Cook for 30 mins. Baste with the juices and cook for another 30 mins, until the vegetables and meat are tender.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 500(kcal)
- Fat 19.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.