Italian chicken stew
- 2 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 small chorizo sausages, halved
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 90g (3oz) button mushrooms
- 600ml (1 pint) hot chicken stock
- 190g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs tomato purée
- 410g can cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tbs thickening granules
- Few sprigs of fresh oregano, to garnish, optional
Replace the chorizo for chopped bacon or 2 chicken wings or drumsticks, if you prefer.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the Italian seasoning, salt and ground black pepper. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole or pot. Add the chicken and fry for a few mins, turning it as needed. Add the chorizo and onion and cook for 5 more mins.
- Stir in the red pepper, garlic, mushrooms, stock, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and tomato purée. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 mins. Add the beans and thickening granules, stir gently and cook for 5 more mins. Garnish with oregano, if you like. Serve with bread.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 750(kcal)
- Fat 38.0g
- Saturates 11.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.