James Martinís salmon, thyme and leek tart
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This hearty tart is the perfect way to satisfy hungry tums this spring and will be a hit with all the family. Try James Martin's easy peasy recipe now
- 1 x 300g pack ready-made short crust pastry
For the filling
- 1 x 180g can skinless and boneless red salmon, drained
- Splash of olive oil
- 1 large sliced white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 250g baby leeks green tops removed and halved
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 egg yolks
- 250ml double cream
- 75ml milk
- 300g English cheddar, grated
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
When finished, try grating parmesan cheese over the tart and putting it under the grill for a few seconds for an extra tasty topping!
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and line a 22 cm or 10" flan dish that has been well buttered and lightly floured.
- Line the flan dish with the pastry, but don't cut off the edges of the pastry yet then set to one side.
- Place a pan over a medium heat with a little olive oil add the onions and garlic and sweat them for about 3 minutes. Add the cut leeks and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set to one side.
- Combine the eggs and egg yolks, cream and milk in a bowl and season well. Mix in half of the cheese and spoon into the pastry case.
- Add the salmon, onion and leek mix. Top with the remainder of the cheese and then finally the thyme.
- Place into the oven and cook for about 30 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the oven allow to cool slightly, trim the edges of the pastry and remove from the ring. Place onto a large plate, ready to serve.