Chocolate Guinness cupcakes
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Celebrate St Patrick's Day with these easy chocolate Guinness cupcakes that are rich and delicious (and finished with a circle of icing sugar and a glittery shamrock, of course!). This is the ONLY thing you'll want to bake for the all-important 17 March
The mixture will look very runny, but that's how it's supposed to look - it still bakes well!
- 250ml Guinness
- 250g butter
- 100g dark bitter chocolate, broken up
- 400g caster sugar
- 150g tub of sour cream or creme fraiche
- 2 medium eggs
- 275g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 200g white fondant
- Chocolate buttercream, for decorating
- Edible glitter, for the shamrocks
- Shamrock stencil, cut out of paper
- Gently heat the Guinness, butter, chocolate and sugar together. Mix in the eggs and sour cream then add in the flour and baking soda. Beat so it's smooth with no lumps.
- Pour the mixture into 12 cases and bake at 160C, gas 3 for 18 minutes.
- Top with chocolate buttercream and circles of white fondant. Brush the fondant with a little water then use a shamrock stencil, which you can easily make yourself using a small square of plain paper, as a guide for your glitter shamrocks.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.