- 250g (8oz) pack frozen diced British venison, thawed
- 1 rounded tbs flour, seasoned
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges, leaves pulled apart
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, just thawed if frozen, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- 150ml (¼ pint) red wine
- 150ml (¼ pint) hot beef stock (half a stock cube)
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g (1lb) pack frozen Winter Vegetable Mix
- 1 level tbs redcurrant jelly
- 250g (8oz) pack frozen crispy potato slices (we used McCain)
You can use any frozen mixed vegetables you have. Make with beef or lamb, if you prefer.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C. Trim any connective tissue from the meat and cut it into even-sized pieces. Sprinkle with the seasoned flour and coat well.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the meat in one layer, leave it to cook for a min or two, then turn it over and cook for another couple of mins. Spoon out of the pan into a casserole.
- Add the onion leaves and bacon to the pan and fry for a couple of mins, then add the garlic. Stir well and pour in the wine and stock. Bring to the boil and add the thyme and bay leaf, some seasoning, and the frozen vegetables. Bring to the boil again, add the redcurrant jelly, then pour into the casserole with the meat and mix well.
- Arrange the frozen potato slices on top. Put the casserole on a baking tray and cook for 1½-2 hrs.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 363(kcal)
- Fat 11.0g
- Saturates 3.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.