Quick Quorn lunch bowl
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This healthy low-fat bowl of Quorn, bean and spinach soup is made from frozen foods. Just as nutritious and tasty as using fresh foods and just as quick to prepare. This dish serves around 3-4 people and will take only 20 mins to rustle up making it the perfect option for a speedy lunch or light dinner. The Quorn in this recipe works wonders with the Thai infused stock as well as the veggies too. This dish works out at only 161 calories per serving and 2g of fat making it a low-fat option.
- 350ml (12fl oz) frozen chicken or vegetable stock, home-made or ready-made
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin (rice wine)
- 2 tsp freshly grated, or frozen prepared, ginger
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 frozen fillets of Quorn, cut into thin strips (taken from a 312g pack of 6 frozen fillets)
- 100g (3½oz) frozen green beans, cut into short strips
- 2-3 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 180g sachet frozen, pre-cooked basmati rice (taken from 720g pack of 4 sachets)
- About 60g (2oz) frozen leaf spinach (4 chunks)
- 1 tbsp chopped frozen coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- Garlic bread, to serve
Use chicken, if you like, but it must be thawed well. Thaw stock a little in the microwave first.
- Heat the stock in a pan with the fish or soy sauce, mirin, ginger, and sugar. Bring to the boil for a few mins. Add the Quorn strips and beans. Bring back to simmer for 4 mins.
- Add the spring onions, rice and spinach and cook for another couple of mins. Stir in the coriander and enough lime juice, to taste. Serve with garlic bread; if frozen, bake or grill according to pack instructions. Or toast frozen bread and spread with garlic butter.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 161(kcal)
- Fat 2.0g
- Saturates 0.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.