Blue cheese and red onion quiche
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
This vegetarian quiche will impress dinner guests or your family, but is easy to make and you should have most of the ingredients in your cupboard.
- 225g (8oz) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- A pinch of salt
- 125g (4½ oz) cold butter, cut into pieces
- Green salad, to serve
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 4 large red onions, peeled, halved and sliced into half moons
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 300ml (10½ fl oz) double cream
- 150g (5oz) blue cheese, crumbled
- A few fresh thyme sprigs, leaves only
- A 28cm (11in) quiche or tart tin with a removable base
Top tip: You could try making individual mini versions of this quiche by using small tins.
- To make the filling, heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onions and fry over a low-medium heat for 10-15 mins until soft and caramelised. Season with salt and black pepper then remove from the heat and allow to cool. This can be done ahead of time.
- To make the pastry, place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and, using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over 1–2 tbsp of water and bring the dough together to form a ball.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4) and place a baking tray on the middle shelf. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and use to line the quiche tin. Prick the base with a fork and place on the baking tray in the oven for about 15 mins until lightly golden.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and cream together until combined.
- Arrange the caramelised onions on the base of the cooked pastry case, scatter over the crumbled cheese and the thyme leaves and season with salt and black pepper.
- Gently pour the egg and cream mixture into the pastry case and bake in the oven for 30–35 mins until the filling is set and golden on top. Allow to cool, then serve hot or cold slices with a green salad.