Simon Rimmer's goat's cheese and onion tart
Skill level: Bit of effort
Perfect for picnics and barbecues as the weather gets warmer, or a tempting weekend lunch with the family. Try Simon's vegetarian tart recipe now.
IngredientsFor the pastry:
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- 100g (3 ½ oz) butter, diced
- 1tbsp chopped fresh lavender (optional)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- A little milk to bind, if necessary
For the filling:
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 large Spanish onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2tsp caster sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 150ml (¼ pt) double cream
- 100g (3½ oz) goats’ cheese, crumbled
Top tip: Simon would serve this dish with a simple fresh herb salad dressed with a dash of olive oil and lemon juice.
- To make the pastry, simply pulse the flour and butter together in a food processor until they look like damp breadcrumbs. Add the lavender, if using, then add the egg and a little milk, if needed, to help gather the mixture into a dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for at least 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan 180°C, gas mark 6). Roll out the pastry and use to line a greased 20cm (8-inch) tart tin. Chill for 20 mins.
- Cover the pastry with greaseproof paper, press it down into the corners, then weigh the paper down with baking beans. Bake blind for 15 mins, then remove the paper and baking beans and return the pastry case to the oven for a further 5 mins until crisp and dry. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (fan 160°C, gas mark 4).
- Meanwhile, for the filling, heat the butter and oil together in a saucepan, then add the onions, garlic, sugar and seasoning and cook over a low heat for about 20 mins, or until golden.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and cream in a clean mixing bowl, mix in the onions and then pour into the cooked tart case. Scatter the crumbled cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20 mins until the filling is set firm and golden brown.
The Seasoned Vegetarian by Simon Rimmer is published by Mitchell Beazley, £14.99 www.octopusbooks.co.uk