Simon Rimmer's peppered mushroom and Stilton pie
Skill level: Bit of effort
This hearty vegetarian pie is the perfect comfort food - the buttery pastry, tangy Stilton and creamy mushrooms are delicious.
IngredientsFor the pastry:
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- 100g (3½ oz) butter
- 1 egg
- A little milk to bind, if needed
- Egg wash, to glaze
For the filling:
- 1 onion, sliced
- 500g (1lb 2oz) button mushrooms, halved
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp green peppercorns in brine, drained
- 250ml (9fl oz) vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g (7oz) Stilton cheese
Top tip: Simon would serve this dish with buttery mash and green beans.
- For the pastry, simply pulse the ingredients together to form a dough, adding a little milk if needed. Wrap in cling film and chill for at least 30 mins.
- To make the filling, start by frying the onion and mushrooms in hot oil until soft.
- Add the tomato purée and cook for 5 mins, then add the soy sauce, peppercorns and stock, bring to the boil, then reduce heat slightly and cook until the liquid has reduced by half. Season to taste.
- Divide the mixture between four individual pie dishes. Crumble the Stilton and divide that between the dishes too.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan 180°C, gas mark 6). Cut the pastry into four pieces and roll into four circles, just bigger than the dishes.
- Damp the rim of the dishes with water and cover the pie dishes with pastry, trim the edges and cut a little hole in the top. Brush all over with beaten egg to glaze. Bake the pies for about 20 mins until crisp and golden.
The Seasoned Vegetarian by Simon Rimmer is published by Mitchell Beazley, £14.99 www.octopusbooks.co.uk