Simon Rimmerís vegetable curry
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This vegetarian curry is great with naan bread, chutney and steamed rice! Try Simon's recipe when you're tempted by a weekend takeaway but want something healthier.
- 500g (1lb 2oz) sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 400g (14oz) courgettes, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm (1-inch)
- Rounds salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and finely sliced good handful of baby spinach
- 1 tsp each of cumin, coriander,
- fennel and fenugreek seeds
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 small red birds eye chillies,
- deseeded and finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2.5cm (1-inch) piece fresh root
- ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed,
- pods discarded
- 250ml (9fl oz) vegetable stock
Serve with steamed rice, naan bread and any other bits you fancy, such as chutney and raita.
- For the sauce, gently toast the cumin, coriander, fennel and fenugreek seeds for 2 minutes in a dry pan, then grind them using a pestle and mortar.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan, add the onions and fry gently for 10 minutes until well coloured. Add the garlic and chilli.
- Stir in the tomatoes, ginger, turmeric, cardamom seeds and toasted, ground spices.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
Tip the curry sauce into a food processor and blend until very smooth.
- Boil or steam the sweet potato until tender.
- Toss the courgettes in the remaining oil, then fry them for a few minutes on each side until lightly browned. Season well.
- To serve, add all the veggies to the prepared sauce and warm through.
The Seasoned Vegetarian by Simon Rimmer is published by Mitchell Beazley, £14.99 www.octopusbooks.co.uk