Spiced Easter cookies
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These biscuits make a welcome change from chocolate Easter eggs. Decorate them with coloured icing and they will appeal to both young and old.
IngredientsFor this Easter recipe you will need:
- 100g (3½oz) butter, softened
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 300g (10½oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice or ground cinnamon
- 1 quantity of coloured icing
Why not make some carrot shaped cookies coated in orange icing too?
- To make this cookie recipe, beat the butter and caster sugar together in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and mixed spice. Add to the butter mixture and mix thoroughly. Add 1 tsp cold water to bring the dough together if you need to. Wrap the mixture in baking parchment and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Line two baking sheets with baking
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 4mm (¼in) thick and, using cookie cutters, stamp out shapes. Using a palette knife, lift the shapes carefully on to the baking parchment.
- Bake for 15–18 minutes, or until lightly golden in colour. Allow to cool on a wire rack then ice, as liked.