Honey and lemon thyme roast chicken
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Looking for new ideas for your Sunday roast? Brighten up a simple chicken with an easy honey and lemon thyme rub - delicious!
- 1 large chicken, weighing approx. 1.8kg (4lb)
- 4 sprigs lemon thyme
- 4 tbsp honey
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add 1 tsp whole cumin seeds or ground cumin to the rub for a delicious Moroccan flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / fan oven 170°C / Gas Mark 5.
- Put the chicken into a large roasting tin and put 2 sprigs of lemon thyme into the cavity of the bird.
- Mix together the honey, lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil. Strip the leaves from the remaining sprigs of thyme and add to the mixture. Season with salt and plenty of black pepper, then rub all over the chicken’s skin.
- Roast for 20 minutes per 450g (1lb), plus 20 minutes in total. A 1.8kg (4lb) chicken will take 1 hour 40 minutes to cook. Baste the chicken 2-3 times with the cooking juices whilst it roasts and cover with foil as soon as it is golden brown.