Roast bacon joint
Cooking time:(20 mins per 450g/½kg (1lb)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Want something a little different from your usual roast dinner? Why not try a bacon joint? They're cheaper and quicker than your traditional roast, which means you can have one during the week too!
- 900g(2lb) quality bacon joint
- Glazes: 1-2 x 15mlsp (1-2tbsp) honey; Marmalade and mustard - a spoonful of each or favourite jam or jelly (redcurrant, plum, quince, etc)
- Mix of vegetables (potatoes, baby carrots, parsnips, shallots, sweet potatoes, squash, apples or plums or any of your favourite seasonal root vegetables will work well).
The water will create a little steam during cooking and keep the joint moist
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180ºC, 350ºF.
- Place the joint into a foil lined roasting pan. Add a small cup of water and lightly scrunch the foil around the joint.
- Open up the foil for the last 20 minutes of cooking and brush now with the glaze (if you are using one).
- Place the vegetables in a separate roasting pan, drizzle with a little olive oil, season and roast for 40-50 minutes.