This dish would work well as a hearty lunch or a side to a main meal
- 2 large, firm aubergines (about 450g/1 lb in total)
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon red or green chillies, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coriander stalks and leaves, chopped
- Wash the aubergines, prick all over with a sharp knife and cook in the oven, on a high heat, for 20 minutes.
- Heat a saucepan, and add the oil, cumin seeds and onions. Stir continuously until the onions are soft and lightly brown at the edges.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, turmeric, cumin coriander powder, black pepper, chillies and fenugreek, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Scoop out the aubergine pulp and add with the lemon juice and cook for a further 10 minutes on a low heat. Add the chopped coriander. Cook for 1 minute and then serve inside the aubergine skin.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 81(kcal)
- Fat 4.1g
- Saturates 0.4g
- Sugars 6.1g
- Salt 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.