Skill level: Easy peasy
Learn how to make this healthy baked and roasted aubergine veggie dish with our easy step-by-step recipe video. Your family will find it so tasty - they won't realise they're eating veg! This recipe serves 4 people and will take around 35 mins to make in total. A portion of these delicious roasted aubergine works out at only 81 calories per serving - perfect if you're calorie counting and trying to be good. Our easy to follow video recipe makes this delicious dish even easier to make. Serve your roasted aubergine with new potatoes or rice and a freshly prepared salad.
This dish would work well as a hearty lunch or a side to a main meal
- 2 large, firm aubergines (about 450g/1 lb in total)
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon red or green chillies, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coriander stalks and leaves, chopped
- Wash the aubergines, prick all over with a sharp knife and cook in the oven, on a high heat, for 20 minutes.
- Heat a saucepan, and add the oil, cumin seeds and onions. Stir continuously until the onions are soft and lightly brown at the edges.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, turmeric, cumin coriander powder, black pepper, chillies and fenugreek, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Scoop out the aubergine pulp and add with the lemon juice and cook for a further 10 minutes on a low heat. Add the chopped coriander. Cook for 1 minute and then serve inside the aubergine skin.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 81(kcal)
- Fat 4.1g
- Saturates 0.4g
- Sugars 6.1g
- Salt 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.