Vanilla and poppy seed cupcakes with lemon icing
Prep time:(plus cooling)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These tasty treats are perfect for an afternoon snack or Easter egg hunt and are guaranteed to be a hit with all the family, especially the kids.
IngredientsFor this Easter recipe you will need:
- 175g (6 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 175g (6 oz) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 175g (6 oz) self-raising flour
- 25g (1 oz) poppy seeds
- 250g (9 oz) icing sugar
- 1½tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Small Easter eggs
- Mini eggs
- Chicks in nests made from coloured marzipan and crumbled chocolate flake
Vanilla extract is the most concentrated form of flavouring, being stronger than vanilla essence, so if you prefer to use this to flavour the cupcake mixture, reduce the quantity to 1⁄2 teaspoon.
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4. Line a 12-cup muffin tray with paper cases.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar together until creamy. Whisk the eggs and vanilla together and add a little at a time to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Finally stir in the flour and poppy seeds.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch. Cool in the tins for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in the lemon juice to give a smooth, spreadable icing. Stir in the lemon zest and spread the icing over the cupcakes. Decorate with small Easter eggs and chicks in nests, bought or homemade.