Triple layer cheesecake
Prep time:(plus 20 minutes in the freezer and five hours or overnight cooling period)
Total time:(plus five hours or overnight cooling)
Skill level: Bit of effort
This tasty and colourful cheesecake was created by goodtoknow user Jan Lawry - it's perfect for special occasion and will definitely impress your guests. This triple layer cheesecake serves between 10-12 people and will take approximately 1hr and 35 mins to make. This easy cheesecake is well worth the wait and sure to be a big hit. Serve this impressive cheesecake with a drizzle of single or double cream. Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container or covered in clingfilm and stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.
IngredientsFor the base:
- 100g digestive biscuits, crushed.
- 50g unsalted butter, melted.
- 25g demerara sugar
- 1kg cream cheese
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 56g dark chocolate, melted
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 220g strawberries, blitzed in a blender
- White chocolate shavings, or fresh fruit, or whipped cream, as preferred.
- 20cm / 8" cake tin, either springform or loose-bottomed.
Don't try to skimp on the fat content! Reduced-fat soft cheese may contain ingredients that stop the cheesecake setting properly.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 350F.
- Lightly oil or butter the base of the cake tin.
- Put the crushed digestive biscuits in a bowl and add the melted butter and sugar. Mix thoroughly and press into the base of the cake tin. Press well down and then put the cake tin in the fridge.
- Put the cream cheese and the sugar into a large bowl and mix very thoroughly (I use a handheld electric mixer). Add the eggs one at a time and continue to mix well. Now, divide the mixture into three equal parts.
- To the first portion, add the 56g of melted dark chocolate. Mix well until thoroughly blended through.
- Now take the cake tin out of the fridge and pour in the chocolate mixture. Smooth until itís evenly spread over the biscuit base. Now put the cake tin in the freezer for a good 10 minutes.
- When the ten minutes is up, take the cake tin out of the freezer, take the second portion of the cream cheese mixture and add a teaspoon of vanilla essence. Pour this vanilla mixture onto the chocolate mix and smooth until evenly spread. Put the cake tin back in the freezer for another ten minutes.
- When the time is up take the cake tin out of the freezer, take the final portion of cream cheese mixture and add the blitzed strawberries. Mix well and pour this onto the vanilla mixture. Now put the cake tin carefully into the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Switch the oven off and leave the cheesecake in the oven to cool completely. This will prevent the cake from cracking. When cool, take the cake tin out and run a thin-bladed knife around the edges of the cheesecake. Now refrigerate the cake for at least five hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove the cheesecake and place on a serving plate. Decorate as you wish, cream, fresh fruit, or white chocolate shavings.