Fearne Cotton’s chocolate cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These easy-to-bake chocolate cupcakes are made by celebrity mum Fearne Cotton and are the perfect treat for yourself and the family or to take to a charity bake sale. Radio One presenter and mum-of-two Fearne has teamed up with the homeless charity Shelter to make these delicious chocolate cupcakes for their Cake Time campaign. These chocolate cupcakes are deliciously moist with a vanilla chocolate buttercream topping - do we need to say more? We recommend topping these off with fresh seasonal fruit, particularly berries - we love raspberries and chocolate flakes and chocolate chips.
- 150g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 3eggs (beaten)
- 250g butter
- 500g icing sugar (sifted)
- 2 drops of vanilla extract
- 12 raspberries
- Some chocolate flakes or chocolate chips
Make sure your cupcakes are completely cool before adding the buttercream icing
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4 and lay out 12 cup cake cases on a baking tray.
- Using an electric mixer, mix the butter, sugar, flour and cocoa powder in a bowl adding the beaten eggs slowly into the bowl as you are mixing.
- Using a large spoon place equal amounts of mixture into the 12 cupcake cases. Place in the oven (near the top) and bake for 15 to 20 minutes – until firm to touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Place the butter into a bowl, stir in the icing sugar and vanilla extract using a wooden spoon, then whisk until fluffy.
- Put the mixture into a piping bag and squeeze plenty onto each cupcake.
- Sprinkle chocolate flakes or chocolate chips over the top and add a raspberry to finish.
If you want a classic recipe, try our traditional chocolate cupcake.