Happy Easter cake
IngredientsFor this Easter recipe you will need:
- 425g butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 organic free-range eggs
- 125g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder, sifted
- 500g icing sugar
- Few drops vanilla extract
- 200g dark chocolate, melted and cooled for 5 mins
- Maltesers (optional) and flowers, to decorate
Top tip: If you're in a baking mood this Easter, we've got a huge selection of Easter recipes for you to make for all the family to enjoy
- Heat oven to Mark 5/190°C.
- Beat 175g butter and the caster sugar together until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and fold in the flour and cocoa powder.
- Pour the mix into 2 greased and lined 20cm sandwich tins and bake for 20 mins, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Cool for 5 mins, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Beat together the remaining butter with the icing sugar and vanilla extract; divide between 2 bowls. Stir the dark chocolate into one of the bowls (reserving a little for drizzling).
- Spread plain buttercream over the top of one cake and sandwich together with the other cake. Spread the chocolate buttercream on top of the cake, drizzle with the reserved chocolate and decorate.