Chocolate and banana jam
Serves: 4 x 200g jars
Forget store bought chocolate spreads, this delicious, quick and easy treat will be a guaranteed hit with the family and will last three months if the kids don't finish it off sooner!
- 800g bananas (about 6 very large ripe ones)
- 100g dark chocolate (use 70+ cocoa solids – coarsely chopped)
- 40ml amaretto
- 200ml water (room temperature)
- 420g organic unrefined raw cane sugar
If you love bananas, we've got a host of other delicious banana recipes you can make including banoffee pancakes and banana bread.
- First place your jam jars in a pre-heated oven (130oC for 15minutes to sterilise the jars). Secondly make sure you have weighed all your ingredients and your equipment and utensils are ready.
- Thinly slice banana, about 1mm thickness. Transfer the banana to a large saucepan with the water and sugar. Mix well on a medium heat, stir constantly and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil (where the bubbles do not stop when you stir it).
- Once the mixture starts to boil, skim away any excessive scum, stirring constantly all the time.
- Keep at a rolling boil for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly till the mixture becomes clearer and brighter.
- Add in the dark chocolate, mix well and bring it back to boil. Once chocolate has melted, remove from the heat immediately, stir in the amaretto.
- Laddle the hot jam into hot sterilised jars leaving a gap of about 1-2cm from the top.
- The chocolate and banana jam will keep up to 3 months if stored in fridge or in a cool, dark cupboard. Once opened, store in fridge and best consumed within 1 week – if it lasts that long!