Simple cinnamon whirls
- 290g pack pizza-base mix (we used Sainsbury’s)
- 200ml (7fl oz) warm milk
- 30g (1oz) butter, melted
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar, for glaze
- 60g (2oz) butter, softened
- 60g (2oz) golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 2 x 12 patty tins, lined with paper cases
You can use white bread mix instead of pizza-base mix, if you prefer and milk instead of the water suggested on the pack instructions
- Put the pizza-base mix into a bowl and add the warm milk, melted butter and 1 tbsp sugar. Mix together and knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 mins.
- To make the filling: Mix the butter, sugar, cinnamon and egg. Divide the dough into 2. Roll out 1 piece on a lightly floured surface to an oblong 30 x 18cm (12 x 7in). Spread the dough with half of the cinnamon butter.
- Roll up the dough from one long side to make a thin sausage. Slice the roll into 12 thick slices and put each slice into a paper case. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for about 20 mins. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Brush the whirls with egg and bake for 15 mins until golden. Put sugar for the glaze into a cup and add 1 tbsp boiling water. Stir until the sugar dissolves and brush over whirls as soon as they come out of the oven.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 95(kcal)
- Fat 4.0g
- Saturates 2.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.