Union Jack cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
goodtoknow user Catriona Siggers made these cute Union Jack cupcakes to celebrate the Royal Wedding. Follow this easy recipe to make some for your party
- 4oz caster sugar
- 4oz margarine
- 4oz self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 12 white cupcake cases
For the icing
- 1 packet white ready roll icing
- Apricot jam
- Blue and red food colouring pens
Swap the apricot jam for strawberry or raspberry if preferred
- Line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake cases and preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Cream the sugar and margarine together with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs, flour, baking powder and vanilla essence while whisking.
- Fill the cupcake cases half full and put them in the oven for 25-20 minutes until well risen and lightly golden brown. Then take the cupcakes out of the oven and put them on a wire rack to cool.
- When the cupcakes are cool, roll out the ready roll icing to about 3mm thick. Then, using a circular biscuit cutter, cut out 12 circles.
- Put some of the apricot jam in the microwave for about 20 seconds until runny. Brush the cupcakes with apricot jam so you can stick one of the icing circles on the top. Draw a union flag onto each icing topped cupcake for a stunning royal cake! Pile onto your cupcake stand and serve with tea and friends.