Kirstie Allsopp's Easter biscuits
Top tip: Using condensed milk in this recipe makes the butter and sugar 'cream' together perfectly.† This makes the mixture easier to beat if you donít have a mixer.
- 150g (5Ĺ oz) butter
- 150g (5Ĺ oz) brown sugar
- 175g (6oz) condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 115g (4oz) self-raising flour
- 1tsp mixed spice
- Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- Coloured icing tubes and confectionary, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180įC (160įC fan oven, gas mark 4). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Beat the butter, sugar and condensed milk together until creamy. Add the egg (donít worry if it looks like its curdling), beat well and then add the flours. Mix to a firm dough and cover in clingfilm then refridgerate for 30 mins.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to the thickness of a pound coin. Cut shapes out.
- Transfer the biscuit shapes to the trays and bake for 10 mins until light golden. Cool completely on a wire rack. Ice and decorate the biscuits.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.