Mexican tortilla lasagne
Skill level: Bit of effort
This Mexican tortilla lasagne from Kirstie Allsopp is a delicious Mexican-inspired dish packed full of vegetables, that's a great way to give kids a few of their five-a-day! If you're bored of your classic lasagne recipe and want to try something a little different, why not combine it with another family favourite dish - tortillas! It might sound like a bit of a strange combination, but trust us, it really is delicious and it's on the table in an hour which means you can make this any night of the week to feed a hungry brood! Your family will love this one and you'll find yourself coming back to this recipe time and time again.
- 400g extra lean minced beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small red and 1 small green pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 red or green chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 400g canned red kidney beans without salt or sugar, rinsed and drained
- 500g jar tomato sauce for lasagne
- 4 soft flour tortillas
- 470g jar creamy sauce for lasagne
- 25g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Fresh side salad (finely chopped tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and coriander)
For a vegetarian alternative, use 400g Quorn mince instead of beef. If you want a change from red meat, substitute pork mince or turkey mince for the beef.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C / fan oven 170°C / Gas 5. Heat a large frying pan and add the mince a handful at a time, cooking over a high heat until seared and browned – about 3-4 minutes. Add the onion, peppers and chilli and cook for a further 2-3 minutes
- Tip in the kidney beans and the tomato sauce, stir and bring to the boil, then remove from the heat.
- Put a tortilla into the base of a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin or baking dish, then spoon in a quarter of the mince mixture. Top with another tortilla and spread a quarter of the creamy sauce over it. Repeat the layers 3 more times, then sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the surface.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until cooked and golden brown.
- Allow to stand for a few minutes, then serve with a refreshing salad of peppers, tomatoes, coriander and red onion with squeeze of lime.