Ham, chorizo and pepper lasagne
Skill level: Bit of effort
This ham, chorizo and pepper lasagne will give your taste buds a treat - it's a lot like a pizza, so if you love pizza you'll love this lasagne recipe! Not only is it a real treat to eat, this lasagne is also really speedy to make compared to a lot of classic lasagne recipes. On the table in under an hour, you really can make this any night of the week. This is also a great way to sneak some extra veggies in your kids' diet, as they pretty much melt into the sauce and they'll be so distracted tackling the stringy, melted cheese and layers of lasagne sheets to notice that they're eating healthy ingredients!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 yellow or red pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 100g cooked ham, chopped
- 50g chorizo sausage, chopped
- 500g jar tomato sauce for lasagne with roasted onion and garlic
- 6 lasagne sheets (weighing about 100g)
- 470g jar creamy lasagne sauce
- 25g Red Leicester cheese, grated
If you don't want to use peppers, you can substitute them for onions, mushrooms, aubergines and tomatoes.
- To make your lasagne, pre-heat the oven to 190°C / fan oven 170°C / Gas 5.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan and add the red onion, leeks and pepper. Cook over a medium-high heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened – about 4-5 minutes. Season with a little pepper, add the ham and chorizo sausage, then stir in the tomato sauce for lasagne with roasted onion and garlic.
- Tip half the ham and vegetable mixture into a large rectangular baking dish, measuring about 26cm x 20cm. Arrange 3 lasagne sheets on top, then spread half the creamy sauce for lasagne over them.
- Repeat the layers, then sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the surface.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until cooked and golden brown. Allow to stand for a few minutes, then serve.