Spicy butternut squash soup
This soup is Best made a day in advance to allow the flavours to develop.
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 750g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2cm dice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed and chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 mild red or green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 lemon
- Optional: a few sprigs of flat-leaf parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Dissolve the vegetable stock cubes in 1½ litres boiling water. Add the squash to a roasting tray with 2 tablespoons olive oil and the spices. Mix to coat then cook in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until soft.
- Meanwhile, place a pan on a medium heat and add the remaining olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and chilli and sweat for 10 minutes, or until softened but not coloured. Add the roasted squash and vegetable stock to the pan. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are soft and cooked through.
- Blitz with a hand blender or in a food processor until smooth. Taste and season accordingly with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice then sprinkle with some chopped parsley.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.