Roses are red, violets are blue mini cupcakes
- 150g (5oz) butter, softened
- 150g (5oz) golden caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 150g (5oz) self-raising flour
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 250g (8oz) butter, softened
- 500g (1lb) icing sugar, sieved
- Few drops of rose water, optional
- 250g tub mascarpone cheese
- Pink terracotta and grape violet paste food colouring
- Crystallised rose petals and violets, to decorate
- 3 x 12-hole mini muffin trays, lined with paper cases
- Piping bag and star nozzle
Use this mixture to make 12 regular-sized muffins, if you prefer. If you don’t have 3 mini muffin trays, make muffins in batches. You’ll find crystallised violets and rose petals, £4.75 a pack, at rococochocolates.com
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C. Mix the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer, until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, fold in the flour and lemon zest and juice. Gently mix until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 10-15 mins, until risen and firm to the touch in the centre. Take out to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream: Whizz the butter in a food processor until smooth, slowly add the icing sugar, rose water, if using, and mascarpone and whizz until just smooth.
- Divide the mixture between 2 bowls. Colour a batch pink and the other violet by dipping a cocktail stick into the paste food colourings and mixing it in until evenly coloured. Pipe large swirls of the buttercream on top of the cooled cupcakes, using the piping bag and star nozzle. Top with crystallised roses and violets.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 225(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.