Chocolate beetroot brownies
Cooking time:Plus 20 minutes cooling
Total time:(including cooling time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
You may not think beetroot and brownies go together but the tasty vegetable makes them deliciously soft and completely moreish!
- 400g topped, tailed and peeled raw beetroot, cut into 2cm dice
- 100g hazelnuts
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 220g light Muscovado sugar
- 1/4tsp salt
- 150g dark cooking chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), broken into squares
- 2tbsp white rice flour
- 70g good-quality cocoa powder
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
For the top:
- 30g chopped hazelnuts
You will also need:
- A 27cm x 20cm 2 5cm brownie tin
- A blender
- A microwave
- A food processor
Be careful not to move this brownie too much when warm, as it is extremely delicate and will break easily until it has cooled, when it will be much easier to handle
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / 325°F/gas mark 3.
- Line the base and sides of your tin with baking parchment. Once it's in place, lightly brush the parchment on the base and sides with a little vegetable oil.
- Cook the diced beetroot in the microwave for 10 minutes in a heatproof bowl with a small splash of water, covered in cling film.
- Whilst the beetroot is cooking, whizz the hazelnuts to a powder in the food processor. Take the time to grind them up as much as you can manage, even if this means blizting in several stages.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and salt with a hand-held whisk in a large mixing bowl for 5 minutes until tripled in volume.
- Next turn your attention back to the beetroot. Drain the water from the cooked, hot beetroot and blend to a puree.
- Add the chocolate squares before re-covering the bowl with cling film and setting aside. You need to make sure that the beetroot is piping hot or it won't melt the chocolate. If the beetroot has cooled too much, simply heat it up for 1 final minute in the microwave before proceeding with the next stage of the recipe.
- Beat the powdered hazelnuts, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and vanilla extract into the fluffy egg mixture until well combined.
- Add the beetroot and melted chocolate puree to the mixture and fold through until fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle the 30g chopped hazelnuts over the top. Cook in the middle of the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool the brownie in the tin for 20 minutes before cutting it into individual brownies for serving.