Mixed bean salad with mustard dressing
Skill level: Easy peasy
This nutritious and delicious bean salad with juicy cherry tomatoes and a tangy mustard dressing would make a perfect light meal and at only 180 cals, it's great if you're on a diet. This recipe serves 6 people and takes 30 mins to prepare and cook. This bean salad recipe shows you how to make a light and delicious homemade salad dressing too using wholegrain mustard, lemon and honey. This sweet dressing will give your mixture of beans and freshly cooked salad a new lease of life. This salad is far from boring!
- 90g (3oz) green beans, trimmed and halved
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 410g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 410g can borlotti beans,rinsed and drained
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Stir in a large can of drained tuna, or serve with seared tuna steaks for a more substantial meal.
- Put the green beans into a heatproof bowl with 2 tbsp water. Cover with cling film, pierce and microwave on high for 2 mins. Rinse in cold water and put into a large bowl.
- Rinse the chopped red onion in a sieve, to remove the strong flavour, and then add to the bowl.
- Gently mix in the celery, canned beans and tomatoes.
- To make the dressing: Put mustard, honey, and lemon zest and juice into a small jar with the oil. Season and shake to mix. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and stir lightly.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 180(kcal)
- Fat 8.5g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.