Cooking time:Plus cooling time
Total time:Plus cooling time
Skill level: Easy peasy
These delicious raspberry and blueberry cupcakes taste great but they look even better when they're decorated with edible glitters. Kids will love helping to make these and they'll love eating them too because they're so pretty! They're a great addition to a party, whether you're making them for little ones or for grown-ups, everyone will love how delicate they look. They go just as well with a cup of tea on any given afternoon as they do with a glass of fizz for a special occasion!
- 125 g (41/2 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 200 g (7 oz) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100 ml (31/2 fl oz) double cream
- 175 g (51/2 oz) self-raising flour
- 75 g (23/4 oz) fresh raspberries
- 75 g (23/4 oz) fresh blueberries
For the orange buttercream:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar, sieved
- Juice of ½ orange
- Edible glitter
- Edible glitter stars
You will also need:
- Disposable piping bag
- Large star nozzle
- Preheat the oven to 190oC/375oF/Gas Mark 5.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Whisk the butter and sugar together with an electric hand whisk or beat with a wooden spoon until pale and creamy. Gradually whisk in the eggs and cream until just combined. Then add the flour, whisking again until combined and fluffy. Fold through the raspberries and blueberries.
- Divide between the paper cases and bake in the oven for 20−22 minutes until golden and risen.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to go cold.
- Whisk the butter in a bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and whisk until it comes together.
- Add the water and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Put the buttercream into a piping bag with a large star nozzle.
- Pipe large swirls on top of each cake, starting from the outside and working your way into the centre.
- Sprinkle the cakes liberally with the glitter and stars.