Apple and strawberry pie
Skill level: Easy peasy
An apple and strawberry pie tastes of summer and this version couldn't be easier to make. The rough casing means you can give it a 'rustic' finish and there's no need to fuss over any fancy pastry work. We love this apple and strawberry pie served up with a generous helping of softly whipped double cream, but depending on what you fancy you could add ice cream or thick, rich custard to finish. Hot or cold this simple strawberry and apple pie is delicious, and it keeps well too. Pop in an airtight tin and enjoy throughout the week for a little after dinner treat each evening.
- 200g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 125g chilled butter, cubed
- 60g ground almonds
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 90g golden caster sugar
- 30g white breadcrumbs
- 3 tbs thickening granules
- 3 eating apples, quartered and cored
- 250g strawberries, hulled and halved
- Ĺ tsp ground cinnamon
- Baking parchment
- Large heavy baking sheet
Short of time? Use 250g ready-rolled shortcrust pastry.
- Put the flour into a food processor with the butter and whizz for a few seconds to breadcrumb stage. Add the ground almonds, egg and 2 tbs of the sugar, then whizz again until the mixture forms into a ball. Turn out, wrap pastry in cling film and chill for 30 mins.
- Set the oven to 200įC.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll out the pastry on a large sheet of floured baking parchment to a circle about 30cm in diameter. Itís very soft pastry, so donít worry if it doesnít roll out perfectly. Ease the parchment on to the baking tray.
- Sprinkle the centre of the pastry with breadcrumbs and thickening granules. Pile the prepared apples and strawberries on top, leaving a wide border, and sprinkle over the cinnamon.
- Gather the pastry up and over the fruit. Sprinkle with the rest of the sugar. Bake for 35-40 mins, until the pastry is golden and the fruit is tender.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 456(kcal)
- Fat 23.0g
- Saturates 12.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.