Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frosting
Skill level: Bit of effort
Carrot cake on its own tastes great but even more so with soft and tangy lemon cheese icing - perfect for afternoon tea or a birthday cake with a difference.
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 295g firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 540g coarsely grated carrot
- 110g coarsely chopped walnuts
- 375g self-raising flour
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2tsp mixed spice
For the lemon cream cheese icing:
- 30g butter, softened
- 80g cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 240g icing sugar
You will need three large carrots (540g) to make this recipe
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a deep 22cm (9-inch) round cake pan and line the base with baking parchment.
- Beat oil, sugar and eggs in small bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy. Transfer mixture to large bowl and stir in the grated carrot, nuts, and then the sifted dry ingredients.
- Pour mixture into pan and bake about 1¼ hours. Remove from the oven and stand the cake in the tin for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon cream cheese icing by beating butter, cream cheese and the lemon rind in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar.
- Spread cake with frosting.