Smoked ham and asparagus tart
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This delicious asparagus and ham tart is perfect for a light lunch or picnic. Plus, at only £1.88 per person, it's a real bargain
- 500g shortcrust pastry
- 6 large free-range eggs
- 300ml double cream
- 100g grated Parmesan
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 bundles of asparagus trimmed
- 150g smoked ham
If you want to make your own shortcrust pastry, we have an easy recipe here
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 6.
- Line a 9″ tart case. Roll out the pastry and put into the tart case. Prick the base of the pastry all over with a fork and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge. Place parchment paper on top of the pastry and add baking beans, then place in the oven for approximately 15 minutes until the pastry starts to firm up, or according to packet instructions.
- Beat the eggs, cream and Parmesan together in a bowl then season with salt and pepper.
- Take the pastry case out of the oven and remove the parchment paper and beans. Arrange the asparagus and ham in the pastry case and pour the egg mixture into the case.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes or until set. Serve warm with salad.